International Students in the USA( updated December 2008
623,805 international students were enrolled in university
in the USA during the 2007/2008 school year, based on research from Open
Doors released in November 2008. The top ten countries
with the most international students in the USA are as follows:
- India: 94,563 (up 13% from the previous year)
- China: 81,127 (up 20%)
- Korea: 69,124 (up 11%)
- Japan: 33,974 ( down 4%)
- Canada: 29,051 (up 3%)
- Taiwan: 29,001 (down less than 1%)
- Mexico: 14,837 (up 7%
- Turkey: 12,030 (up 5%)
- Saudi Arabia: 9,873 (up 25%)
- Thailand: 9,004 (up 1%)
The majority (61%) of all international students come from
Asia. The 84,800 international students in California make that state the
leading host, followed by New York (69,844) and Texas (51,824).
The University of Southern California,with 7,189 international
students, led the charge, followed by the New York University, Columbia
University(NY), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Purdue University.
The top two most popular fields of study for international
students continue to be Business and Management, and Engineering.
Immigrants in the USA
The following information was published in a report sponsored
by the Center for Immigration Studies:
- Immigrants account for one in eight U.S. residents, the highest level
in 80 years.
- The nation’s immigrant population (legal and illegal) reached
a record of 37.9 million in 2007.
- Since 2000, 10.3 million immigrants have arrived — the highest
seven-year period of immigration in U.S. history.
- The largest increases in immigrants were in California, Florida, Texas,
New Jersey, Illinois, Arizona, Virginia, Maryland, Washington, Georgia,
North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.